Monday, March 24, 2008

The Easter Sunday Concert

I did not go to the beach today. With some friends in tow, we treated ourselves to an afternoon listening to "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana, Pachelbell's "Canon in D", "Music of the Night" from Phantom of the Opera, Beethhoven's "Ode to Joy" and a good number of classical and contemporary pieces. We listened to these pieces not on CD but at the CKC auditorium with the CKC-Jose Gomez Orchestra.

It was their third concert, after the celebration of the Feast of Cristo Rey and the March 7 concert at the Poor Clare Monastery. The titles I have enumerated earlier are what I'll consider as "add-ons" to the main feature of the performance which was W. A. Mozart's "Missa Brevis in D Major K 195".

So, how was it? I'm no music critic, but simply a lover of good music. I think I appreciate a talented person when I see one; and I saw a lot of them this afternoon. If I may add, these high school students were lucky enough to have as trainor Fr. Marlowe whom I see as one of the most pasensioso priests there is in town.

The concert had no pretensions. It was not one of those "perfect" concerts like the ones held in the great concert halls of the world. What with the sound system and all and PAs checking it minutes before the concert with the audience already seated; and not to mention a good number of "unappreciative" audience. Some notes from the horns and other sections and the choir were sometimes played off-key (or is it out of tune?), BUT IT WAS THE RAW & YOUNG TALENT THAT MADE THE CONCERT AN IMPORTANT ACTIVITY IN THE SOCIAL & CULTURAL CALENDAR OF CLABAYOG. CERTAINLY WE FOUND JOY AND PRIDE KNOWING THAT CALBAYOG HAVE THESE YOUNG AND PROMISING STUDENTS WHO CAN MAKE A LOT OF DIFFERENCE IN THE ALREADY FLOURISHING CULTURAL HUB THAT IS CALBAYOG CITY.

Now for the sad part. I used a different phone to take pictures, and see for yourselves how the pictures came out. Anyway, I just want to give you an idea as to how young the orchestra members are. I'll try to come up with another post for the videos I took during the concert.


In case you think that tarpolin is the "in" thing, they settled for the traditional streamer to announce the activity.

Fr. Marlowe congratulating the orchestra members after the performance

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails