Friday, September 11, 2009

The Editorial of the 2009 Fiesta Souvenir Program

Renewal of Family and Society, Calbayog Fiesta and Other Thoughts
By Dorie Magbutay - Lee

It was the escape from the frigid winter of Wisconsin to the balmy, sunny days of Arizona in late February that gave my husband, Len and I, the chance to see Emma again and meet her husband, Felix. In their lovely summer home in Mesa, Arizona, we basked not only in the sunshine but also in their hospitality. We had the opportunity to view the paintings of Felix’s that mirrored the beauty and majesty of the mountains, big blue sky and deserts of Arizona.

During this visit and subsequent e-mails, Emma informed me of her being one of the hermanas for the Calbayog City fiesta this year. (The other two co-celebrants are her sisters, Venan, and her friend Edele.) She also asked me if I could write something for the program that they are preparing for the fiesta - either about Calbayog or the theme of the fiesta.

Wow! What could this expatriate of 33 years write about Calbayog? Nothing but of some old memories and experiences as a student and teacher at Christ the King College. So, I turned into looking at the theme of the city fiesta: Towards 2010 and Beyond: Mary and the Eucharist in the Renewal of Family and Society. Not an easy topic either! But there are some personal thoughts of how I would go renewing myself through Mary and Eucharist.

What exactly is renewal, I asked myself and how will I go about this task? Not knowing exactly the mission and structure that the Parish of Our Lady's Nativity set up to accomplish this task transformation, I will go on my own exploration as to how the lives of Mary and Jesus (the Eucharist) can help me develop concrete approaches to help deepen my faith through increasing my understanding of Catholic teachings, the reception of the sacraments, practice of morality and prayer and how to connect and manifest all this in my everyday life, thus achieving renewal personality, and through my own example influence those in my family and other people in the community. A very tall order, indeed!

Living Christ made possible through the reception of the Eucharist is a daunting task. Modeling my life after Mary, the Mother of God, who is full of Divine Grace and free from original sin seems such an impossible task for an ordinary, run-of-the-mill Catholic woman like me! So, what in Mary’s life can help me renew myself?

Thinking of Mary as the embodiment of Divine Grace and Faith in God, the Mother of Jesus Christ, assumed and crowned in heaven, fills me with awe and wonderment but does not invoke any feeling other than that of supplication in time of need and consolation in time of sorrow. I need a more human connection with Mary to realize I can be more connected to her and through her to her Son, Jesus Christ, who comes to us in the Sacrament of Real Presence, the Eucharist.

Very little is known of Mary as a girl. However, we know through the Feast of Annunciation, that the angel Gabriel told her that she is the woman chosen to be the Mother of Jesus. Jesus and Mary: Redeemer and Redeemed! A mystery, but what could I get out of this relationship that I could meditate on and apply it to my own life? Here are some thoughts:

Mary had complete faith in God. Although perplexed that she would carry a Child when she knows no man, she bowed to the Will of God, when she responded, “Behold the handmaid of the Lord, Be it done unto me according to thy Word.” How often do I fail to accept events that happen in my life; pray only for the good things in life and the bad things to go away!

Mary had physically experienced being pregnant. Although Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, the God-Man, was born of the Virgin Mary. She must have gone through all the pains of morning sickness, of the sense of bloating, back aches, labor pains, and all this! This I could relate to.

Mary experienced the joys, the fears and agony of being a parent. Just imagine the joy and the pride of seeing a son growing strong and intelligent that He can engage in discussion with the elders in the Temple, the fear and apprehension in going into exile to Egypt for the safety of her newborn baby, the anxiety of looking for a young son who wandered off, the agony of seeing her son accused of a crime, scourged, humiliated, and carrying a cross around town and crucified as a criminal!

Behind all these events Mary had Joseph, a man of faith, betrothed to Mary, (who became pregnant before they were married) who accepted the will of God without question, the man that took care of her and baby Jesus with quiet strength and forbearance. What a man for a husband!

The Eucharist, the mystery that transcends reason, when Jesus Christ offers His own Body and Blood to mankind. I believe and accept this most central of beliefs in my Catholic faith. All things are possible, if God wills it so. Just as Jesus united Himself with Mary in her womb, I take communion, I take in the Real Presence of Jesus Christ. As Mary became the Vessel of God, when she became pregnant with Jesus, I receive the Real Presence of Jesus when I partake of the Sacrament of the Eucharist.

With these thoughts of Mary and Jesus Christ, is it possible for me to live the life of the Christ? How does one do that?

We verbally profess our faith every time we recite the Creed, but

Unless heart and will be added, they will all be empty forms, mere appearance of piety.
At such a spectacle, the Virgin, borrowing the words of Jesus Christ, would address us with the just reproach: “These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me”.
(Matthew XV, 8).

How do I add my heart and will to my faith? In addition to what the Church expects me to do, I think I could renew and rededicate myself by doing everyday the simple things I do to live my life.

To give thanks to God for each new day as I rise in the morning.
To tell and show my husband, my family and grandchildren how I love them and how they enrich my life.

To speak kindly and do deeds of kindness to everyone I meet daily.
To say thank you and show appreciation to the gentle words and kindness shown to me.

To think ill of no one, to do nothing that will hurt someone.
To use my gifts and talents for my own good and those of others.

To use the gifts of this Earth wisely, consume only enough for me and my family’s needs and converse the rest for the use of others and future generations.
And before I retire for the night, to give thanks to God for the chance to do His will today despite the distractions and difficulties.


And above all, thanks to whoever thought of making the Nativity of Mary, the Feast Day of Calbayog. Of all the Marian Feast days they could choose from, they picked on that we all can relate to – a birthday!

Have a great celebration of Mary’s birthday, people of Calbayog. God bless you all!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails