Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A letter from Samar

(This is an article from the Philippines Free Press)

My first glimpse of Samar is a few hours before sunrise after a two-hour ferryboat ride from Matnog, Sorsogon.


The sea is calm, the outlines of the Samar terrain beckon on my grandson like a haunting opening scene from the film version of Michener’s Hawaii.


From Matnog to Allen town, my grandson surveyed the Sorsogon-Samar seas and wondered how several buses, a few cars and trucks can fit into a ferryboat.


In between the Samar destination, the ship showed a scary film on how deadly fishes feasted on beach revellers—inch by inch, hands, limbs, eyes and all. I told my grandson there was a better view of the sea and would he please stop staring on the TV screen? This was no way to introduce a child on his first sea ride and fortunately, my grandson found the sea more enchanting than the cinematographer’s fetish for chunks of human flesh.


When we reached Allen just before sunrise, I realized how beautiful the Samar landscape is. I feasted on the dark brooding green hills and the beautiful meadows jutting out in between rows and rows of coconut trees. As the bus resumed land travel from Allen town to Calbayog City, I knew there was no way I can’t remain indifferent to the natural charm of this third biggest island in the country.


From the well-cemented seaside road, I got to see rows of other islands (and islets) dotting the horizon. I also saw outlines of Masbate province and down south, the mountains of Biliran and Leyte. (READ MORE)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails